Nicole’s highly recommended articles are in bold.
ON DIETING, HEALTH BEHAVIORS AND WEIGHT
- Medicare’s search for effective obesity treatments: diets are not the answer. Mann T., Tomiyama A.J., Westling E., Lew A.M., Samuels B., Chatman J. (2007).
- Weight Science: Evaluating the Evidence for a Paradigm Shift. Bacon L., Aphramor L. (2011).
- Weight loss is not the answer: A well-being solution to the “obesity problem.” Logel C, Stinson A, Brochu PM. Social and Personality Psychology Compass. 2015; 678-695.
- The Weight-Inclusive versus Weight-Normative Approach to Health: Evaluating the Evidence for Prioritizing Well-Being over Weight Loss. Tylka T.L., Annunziato R.A., Burgard D., Daníelsdóttir S., Shuman E., Davis C., Calogero R.M. (2014).
- Healthy lifestyle habits and mortality in overweight and obese individuals. Matheson EM, King DE, Everett CJ. J Am Board Fam Med. 2012;25 (1):9-15.
- The Effects of Starvation on Behavior: Implications for Dieting and Eating Disorders. Garner, D. Healthy Weight Journal, Sep/Oct 1998.
- Fitness vs. Fatness on All-Cause Mortality: A Meta-Analysis. Barry VW, Baruth M, Beets MW, Drstine JL, Blair SN. Prog in Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 56(4):382 – 390.
- Obesity, Disordered Eating, and Eating Disorders in a Longitudinal Study of Adolescents: How Do Dieters Fare 5 Years Later?. Neumark-Sztainer D. (2006).
- Relation Between Dieting and Weight Change Among Preadolescents and Adolescents. Field A., Austin S.B., Taylor C.B., Malspeis S., Rosner B., Rockett H.R., Gillman M.W., Colditz G.A. (2003).
ON WEIGHT STIGMA
- Adults with greater weight satisfaction report more positive health behaviors and have better health status regardless of BMI. Blake C.E., Hébert J.R., Lee D.C., Adams S.A., Steck S.E., Sui X., Kuk J.L., Baruth M., Blair S.N., (2013).
- Anti-Fat Prejudice Reduction: A Review of Published Studies. Danielsdottir S., O’Brien K.S., Ciao A. (2010).
- Discrimination Often Leads To Declining Physical Health For Obese Individuals. Fowler D. (2011).
- Health and health-related quality of life among treatment-seeking overweight and obese adults: associations with internalized weight bias. Latner J.D., Durso L.E., Mond J.M. (2013).
- Implicit and Explicit Anti-Fat Bias among a Large Sample of Medical Doctors by BMI, Race/Ethnicity and Gender. Sabin J.A., Marini M., Nosek B.A. (2012).
- Obesity Stigma: Important Considerations for Public Health. Puhl R.M., Heuer C.A. (2010).
- Perceived Weight Discrimination and Obesity. Sutin A.R., Terracciano A. (2013).
Morality and Health: News Media Constructions of Overweight and Eating Disorders. Saguy A.C., Kjerstin G. (2010).
- Public reactions to obesity-related public health campaigns: A randomized trial. Puhl R.M., Peterson J.L., Luedicke J. (2013).
- Fighting obesity or obese persons? Public perceptions of obesity-related health messages.Puhl R., Peterson J.L., Luedicke J. (2012).
- Academy for Eating Disorders Position Paper: The Role of the Family in Eating Disorders. Le Grange D., Lock J., Loeb K., Nicholls D. (2009).
- Setting policy priorities to address eating disorders and weight stigma: views from the field of eating disorders and the US general public. Puhl R.M., Neumark-Sztainer D., Austin S.B., Luedicke J., King K.M. (2014).
- Support for Laws to Prohibit Weight Discrimination in the United States: Public Attitudes from 2011 to 2013. Suh Y., Puhl R.M., Liu S., Fleming M.F. (2014).
- Putting People First in Obesity. Kyle T.K., Puhl R.M. (2014).
- The Stress of Stigma: Exploring the Effect of Weight Stigma on Cortisol Reactivity. Schvey N.A., Puhl R.M., Brownell K.D. (2014).
- Parental Concerns about Weight-Based Victimization in Youth.Childhood Obesity. Puhl R.M., Luedicke J., DePierre J.A. (2013).
- Perceptions of weight discrimination: prevalence and comparison to race and gender discrimination in America. Puhl R.M., Andreyeva T., Brownell K.D. (2008).
ON INTUITIVE EATING
- A review of interventions that promote eating by internal cues. Schaefer JT, Magnuson AB. J Acad Nutr Diet.2014;114(5):734-760.
- Size acceptance and intuitive eating improve health for obese, female chronic dieters. Bacon L, Stern J.S., Van Loan M.D., Keim N.L. (2005).
- Intuitive eating is associated with interoceptive sensitivity. Effects on body mass index. Herbert B.M, Blechert J., Hautzinger M., Matthias E., Herbert C. (2013).
- Eat for Life: A Worksite Feasibility Study of a Novel Mindfulness-based Intuitive Eating Intervention. Bush H., Rossy L., Mintz L., Schopp. (2014).
- Intuitive Eating: Associations with Physical Activity Motivation and BMI. Gast J. (2014).
- Sensory-Based Nutrition Pilot Intervention for Women. Gravel K., Deslauriers A., Watiez M., Dumont M., Dufour Bouchard A.A., Provencher V. (2014).
- Imagine HEALTH: results from a randomized pilot lifestyle intervention for obese Latino adolescents using Interactive Guided Imagery. Weigenberg M.J. (2014).
- Intuitive eating in young adults. Who is doing it, and how is it related to disordered eating behaviors? Denny K.N., Loth K., Eisenberg M.E., Neumark-Sztainer D. (2013).
- Dieting, exercise, and intuitive eating among early adolescents. Moy J., Petrie T.A., Dockendorff S., Greenleaf C., Martin S. (2013).
- The Intuitive Eating Scale-2: Item refinement and psychometric evaluation with college women and men. Tylka T.L., Kroon Van Diest A.M. (2013).
- Are Men More Intuitive When It Comes to Eating and Physical Activity? Gast J., Madanat H., Nielson A. (2012).
- Eating in response to hunger and satiety signals is related to BMI in a nationwide sample of 1601 mid-age New Zealand women. Madden C.E., Leong S.L., Gray A., Horwath C.C. (2012).
- The Acceptance Model of Intuitive Eating: A Comparison of Women in Emerging Adulthood, Early Adulthood, and Middle Adulthood. Augustus-Horvath C.L., Tylka T. (2011).